"Thou hast also given me the shield of thy salvation: and thy gentleness hath made me great." 2 Samuel 22:36

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Tis’ the season to be jolly?

Have you ever not been jolly this time of year? I have. Just ask my children. One day as I attempted to be happy I realized that three things normally help me return to my happy self. The first is to take tasks off my to do list. I really do not need to bake cookies, over decorate, get the tree up by a certain date or a bunch of lights up. Wait, scratch that last one off, I DO need lights up and LOTS of them :-)

PB179768

Thankfully my handsome husband knows this about me and puts them up for me ♥

The next thing that helps is to just sit and relax. Don’t plan, organize or try and be creative. Just sit and do nothing. My husband has been telling me to do this for most of our marriage. It has just been in the past few years I’ve started listening to him ♥

Finally, doing something fun for me like making the Christmas banner is so therapeutic.  On this day I decided to do a craft. While I included the children, the activity was for my benefit. Because if I am cranky, it won’t matter how many sugar cookies I bake or homemade stockings I sew, all they will remember is Mama was mad.

So this wknd we created! I pulled out some thread, felt, buttons and glitter.

PC090122

While I enjoy doing crafts I am not very creative when it comes to thinking them up. That is where Pinterest comes in and saves the day. Funny thing is I can give my children all these supplies and they’ll spend hours creating. Me? This was all I could eek out before it was time to clear the table for dinner. But when I was all done I was much more relaxed and happy. Being sweet takes work. Working on Sweetness Training always starts in my heart first. Thankfully I have a very patient & loving family ♥♥♥

PC090121

Sunday evening found us looking out our big living room window watching the snow fall throughout the day. It is so beautiful and makes my children completely happy to see snow coming down.

This year I have decided not to send out a Christmas card. I had thought about drawing ours, which I have done in the past, but felt the days ticking away and pressure to get it done, building. Then I thought about sending our normal picture out and realized everyone has already seen our recent family picture soooooo unless a miracle happens and we all gather together real soon and are all dressed nice for a picture I’m bowing out gracefully of this years Christmas card exchange.

One less thing to worry about which allows me to focus on loving, laughing and living happily with my merry crew.

Merry Christmas!


~Cinnamon

18 comments:

  1. Thank you! Thank you for inspiring me to be a "happy momma" instead of a "angry\grumpy" momma! I love your blog please keep up the amazing writing... I always look forward to reading your posts.. :) Have a most blessed day..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Megan, Thank you for stopping by! Always fun to "meet" our readers.

      Delete
  2. Ah...real life, love it and the approach your taking this Christmas:)

    This Christmas season here at the Muncks has been different, a wonderful kind of different. We have been slow to decorate taking our time enjoying it and keeping it simple.... lov'n it! Tomorrow is 2 weeks until Christmas, and I haven't even bought the first gift. The fantastic thing is I'm not stressed at all, I have a date with my husband tomorrow to shop...and we have all vowed to enjoy this year and not get worked up! I'm loving the freedom to celebrate Christ birth 'simply'.

    Hugs and love to you, missing you and tea time...
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christmas at the Muncks....that sounds lovely ♥

      Delete
  3. Beautiful post Cinnamon! Thank you for this post!

    With cozy thoughts,

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Praying you'll get a call Christmas day from your husband!!

      Delete
  4. You inspire me! Thank you. I'll remember that in my own moments.......with piano students, with respite clients, with other people I come into contact with. I too hope I'll see a family pic of you, but I can wait. Getting everyone together doesn't necessarily have to happen at Christmas; with my family it NEVER does! We can chat more about that over Facebook. Have a lovely day, sister

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Juanita! Yes getting us all together and clean is a challenge and so is being sweet during all of it ;-) God is always working on me ♥

      Delete
  5. What??? No photo Christmas card? heehee Well, I'll just have to print one of my
    favorite pics out then :) I LOVE your recent photos with all of you together! I just can't
    believe how grown up all of the kids are getting! ♥ ♥ ♥ SueBee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John said the same thing so I am purposing to snap a shot of us and get one out ;-) haha!

      Delete
  6. Well aren't you a smart woman! I'm learning these things slowly, but I hadn't put it into a list. I think it's kind of helpful to see the priorities printed out somehow so I can keep a clear perspective. Love your glitter and felt! Glitter is kind of therapeutic all on it's own - don't you think?

    Enjoy it all my friend!

    Love you,
    ~me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a HUGE bottle of glitter. Some days I ask myself "why did you ever buy that mess?" haha! Hoping you are getting cozy in your new home.

      Delete
  7. Cinnamon, This is a very precious post. I love your "Sweetness Training", and think you have done well in your training and in teaching it, because it truly is evident all over you. I agree whole heartedly about sitting down and crossing things off of my list, and enjoying the holiday. I truly have done that these last couple of days as I was going through everything that needed to be done before our kids get here. Steve and I just sat down, and give ourselves permission to relax and just do what we really wanted to do, and let the rest go. I love your crafts, and think they are delightful and inspiring. I also have said to myself that I probably won't get the Christmas cards done; maybe a New Years card, by then we will hopefully have a nice family picture to send; but I make no burdens on myself... just sorting through the "musts and don't need to's" Have a wonderful Christmas season with your "sweet" family. Thanks for the inspiring words.
    Love and Blessings,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it! Christmas at it's finest, peaceful and loving :-)

      Delete
  8. Finally someone admits to this and I dont have to feel like I'm the only one!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweetness training is on going in our home :-)

      Delete
  9. How do you make a banner? I need to make one!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so easy! I just got some pretty paper & cut a triangle out. Then I cut a solid color rectangle out for the letter ( but I could have just drawn the letter on the triangle) and glued it on. Then I glued the triangles to a string. It's that easy!

      Delete

Thank you stopping by and visiting with us today. We love to hear from you and get to know each of you better. If you're new here, consider yourself our new family friend~ If you've known of us forever, we miss and send you a long distance hug~ May God richly bless you this day~

blog background